Classifieds powered by Gulf News

My landlord won't let me move out; please help

Landlord refuses to acknowledge email correspondence and wants to postone returning the deposit

Image Credit: Supplied

My landlord is refusing to honor any email correspondence with them regarding the end of my tenancy, saying that only written and hand delivered correspondence will be accepted. I'm traveling and this is not possible. Is it legal?

Also, the landlord is saying I may not move out of the apartment unless they issue an NOC to the building security. Is this legal? Everything is paid up. They simply won't let me move out because I haven't "hand delivered" a letter to them.

Finally, they refuse to return the deposit to me when I hand over the keys and DEWA receipts. They say they will send me a check or deposit the funds in my account 2 weeks later. I will have left the UAE by then and will have no recourse if they do not pay. Isn't the deposit supposed to be returned when the flat is vacated?

Well, it is very important to double check the content and provisions of your contract; if there is any provision which indicates that “only written and hand delivered correspondences” are allowed, then the correspondences and notifications must be this way; otherwise, if no provision states so, any mean of communication shall be accepted by the law.
It is recommended that you provide them with the letter by hand and allow them to check the place in order to issue the NOC; legally speaking, and after stressing the point in Q1 above, you can send an email or post the letter to them if the contract does not prevent this; however, practically if this is what they are requiring, this will delay the matter and the procedures will take extra time, which is not in your favor since you are the one in hurry not them.
This should be also discussed with them; if there is nothing in the contract which states the method of returning the deposit; if they insist on such method, they can either post the cheque to you or wire the amount to the place of your traveling or an appointed bank account, or you can appoint someone you trust to receive the amount and send it to you.

Question answered by advocate Eisa Bin Haidar, of Bin Haidar Advocates and Legal and Consultants