Al Hosn Palace or Qasr Al Hosn is the oldest building in Abu Dhabi and symbolises the historical development as well as the political history of its rulers from 1795 to 1966.
The building was developed from a freestanding conical tower built in 1761 to protect the newly discovered water source on the island, into a large and fortified fort for the ruler of Abu Dhabi used for defending the area.
Under Shaikh Shakhbut Bin Dhiab, who ruled Abu Dhabi from 1793 to 1816, the old tower that protected the vital water source was integrated into a larger rectangular fort arrangement. Since that date, the fort became the official seat of rule of the shaikhs of Al Nahyan until 1966.
Qasr Al Hosn is the main landmark in the city and it is visited by 10 to 15 busloads of tourists of various nationalities daily. It will soon undergo an ambitious project of conservation and rehabilitation to make it the memorial site for Abu Dhabi and Al Nahyan Ruling Family.
Opening hours: 7:30am to 6:30pm