This service grants an establishment a temporary work permit to complete a temporary work or a certain project of a definite period for no more than 90 days, renewable for a similar period on a one-off basis. This permit is processed on the counter immediately without the need for it to be shown to the Work Permit Committee.
Stages of the service
This service is obtained in five stages:
1- Request for obtaining temporary work permit service.
2- Issuance of approval of temporary work permits.
3- Obtaining of temporary work card and contract.
4- Renewal of temporary work card.
5- Cancellation of temporary work permit or card.
First stage: Request for subscribing to temporary work permit service
During this stage an application form for obtaining the service is submitted and the approval of the ministry for registering the establishment among those entitled to the service is obtained. A casual employee quota of no more than 10 per cent of the total number of the establishment’s employees is subsequently determined.
Issuance of temporary work permits is limited to such establishments that abide by the following conditions:
• The establishment should keep a record that does not contain any violations and should abide by the provisions of the law and the binding decisions at the time of submission of the application form.
• The establishment should undertake to submit a report in which it undertakes to pay the salaries of its employees on time.
• The establishment’s record should contain no previous violations as regards the employment of illegal employees and no group dispute over non-payment of salaries or non-provision of appropriate housing for the employees.
• The establishment’s record should not contain labour cards or work permits that have expired for more than 3 months or 6 months respectively.
• The establishment should have a valid licence.
• The establishment’s signatories should have an electronic signature card as per the procedures observed at the ministry.
• The establishment should be registered with the ministry-approved map programme.
The establishment’s valid licence.
Second stage: Obtaining a temporary work permit
During this stage the establishment submits an application form for recruiting an employee for a temporary work according to the observed form.
• A bank guarantee of Dh3,000 per work permit should be submitted together with the ministry’s authorization to encash the guarantee without referring to the establishment owner as deemed suitable by the ministry for paying the employee’s dues, buying his return airway ticket or collecting any fees or fines imposed on the establishment.
• The academic qualification should be attested as per the ministry’s procedures.
• A temporary-work entry permit should be obtained from the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs - Dubai within a maximum extensible period of 30 days from the date of issuance of the approval of the permit.
• The temporary work permit should be cancelled if not used within a maximum period of 3 months from the date of expiry of the permit. In case of delay, however, the establishment undertakes to pay a fee of Dh500 upon cancellation.
A copy of the recruit’s passport
A photo of the recruit
Dh500 per a temporary work permit application form
Dh3,000 in bank guarantee for each employee
Third stage: Obtaining temporary work card and contract
A copy of medical test
A copy of the temporary-work entry permit
• As soon as the employee enters the UAE, the establishment should undertake that the employee apply for a medical test. The medical test certificate should be attached to the temporary-work card and contract application form.
• The establishment should undertake to obtain temporary-work card and contract within a maximum period of 30 days from the date of the employee’s entry into the UAE.
In case of delay in obtaining the temporary-work card and contract, the establishment should undertake to pay delay charges of Dh500 against each 10 days that follow the 30-day period.
Fourth stage: Renewal of a temporary work card
There are no conditions or documents for the renewal of a temporary work card except for the payment of a fee of Dh500 per application form.
Fifth stage: Cancelling and deducting the cost of a temporary work permit or card
During this stage the establishment cancels a temporary work card as soon as it has expired. It gives the employee his dues and completes the procedures of his deportation and departure from the UAE or otherwise deducts the cost of the unused permit.
A temporary work card should be cancelled within a maximum period of 30 days from the date of expiry of the card. In case of delay, however, the establishment shall pay a fee of Dh500 against each 10 days that follow the lapse of 30 days from the expiry date of the card.
Furthermore, in addition to the suspension of its employment file, the establishment will not be allowed to apply for any work permit until the expired card is either cancelled or renewed.
In case more than three months have lapsed from the expiry date of the card or renewal while the card has not been cancelled or renewed, the ministry will stop dealing with all the other establishments owned by the employer.
Dh500 in fees for cancelling an unused temporary work permit following the expiry of 3 months from the date of approval.
Source: The official portal of Dubai Government