Sharjah: A small fire broke out in an electrical room of a multi-storey tower in Al Taawun area on Wednesday afternoon but was quickly brought under control before it could spread, Sharjah Civil Defence said.

A source at Sharjah Civil Defence confirmed to Gulf News that the fire started in an air-conditioning unit in the electrical room of Style Tower, a mixed-use building with 41 floors.

The fire was reported at 1.40pm and a team of firefighters reached the spot a few minutes later only to find that the building’s personnel had responded swiftly and put out the fire.

“It was a small fire and no one was injured. It broke out inside the electrical room but the personnel working in the building reacted quickly and used fire extinguishers to put it out,” he said.

He added that the personnel were trained in firefighting, which helped in bringing the fire under control.

“Fire always begins small and then spreads. Thankfully, they were trained and used fire extinguishers to put out the fire. Firefighters from Al Nahda and Al Meena were dispatched to the scene,” he said.

The official stressed the importance of receiving training in how to handle fires.

“We always encourage this kind of training because it can minimise the damage and their unfortunate impact on people and properties,” he said.