Neetu Jain Kawad Image Credit: Supplied

Dubai: An Indian woman tourist, who was fighting for her life after a crash in Dubai in which her husband died, did not survive her flight back home in an air ambulance on Monday.

Neetu Jain Kawad, 38, was flown to the South Indian city of Bengaluru in an air ambulance two weeks after she lost her husband, Dinesh Kawad, 40, in a collision between a minibus they were travelling in and a truck on Emirates Road on January 22.

“Unfortunately, Neetu couldn’t survive the flight and we have lost her even before emergency treatment could be given to her in India,” the family informed Rakesh Bohara, who assisted them in Dubai.

Bohara, general secretary of Rajasthan Business and Professional Group (RBPG) in Dubai, and Kesar Kothari, chairman of RBPG, were contacted by their acquaintance in Rajasthan after the couple met with the accident during their trip to Dubai.

Hailing from Rajasthan, the couple was settled in Bellary in Karnataka, running a garments business.

They had left behind their 11-year-old son and nine-year-old daughter with grandparents when they came to Dubai on a leisure trip.

Killed on the spot

They were with two other tourist couples heading for a desert safari trip when the fatal accident took place near Al Aweer area while they were driving towards Sharjah, police sources said earlier.

Initial police investigation showed the bus driver did not leave safe distance between the vehicles, leading to the crash.

Dinesh Kawad, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, and the Pakistani driver, 23, were killed on the spot.

An Italian tourist’s wife, who was said to be three-month pregnant, reportedly succumbed to her injuries later, while a Chinese couple and the Italian man survived with minor injuries.

Bohara told Gulf News that Neetu had suffered critical injuries and fallen into a coma before she was rushed to Rashid Hospital.

Brothers and cousins of the couple had flown in from India after the crash. Kawad’s relatives, who took home his body for funeral, came back again to assist his wife’s relatives, said Bohara.


“We helped them with the paper works with the support of the Indian Consulate and Dubai Police. We also arranged free accommodation for them with the help of Praveen Shetty, the owner of Fortune Group of Hotels.”

He said the tour company, Rayna Tours, paid the hospital bills of Neetu. “I don’t know if they will be reimbursed by the insurance company. But they made the payments on the spot.”

He said the relatives had later decided to fly Neetu back to Bengaluru hoping to get her treated there.

“We didn’t even know this couple. But it seems they lived a very happy life. We were told they had recently held a big celebration of their 15th wedding anniversary in Goa. We are really sad about their young kids,” said Bohara.