Classifieds powered by Gulf News

‘Skyfall’ continues to rise

The Bond film grossed $156m in 81 countries over the weekend

Image Credit: AP
Undated handout photo issued by Sony Pictures of Daniel Craig in a still from the new James Bond film Skyfall, Thursday, April 19, 2012. (AP Photo/Francois Duhamel/Sony Pictures, PA) UNITED KINGDOM OUT, NO SALES, NO ARCHIVE

Los Angeles: James Bond has raked in nearly $300 million (Dh1.1 billion) at the box office before even opening in the US.

Skyfall, the 23rd entry in the Bond spy series and the third starring Daniel Craig, grossed a massive $156 million last weekend in 81 countries, bringing its total box office after less than two weeks overseas to $287 million.

Among the countries where it had big openings this weekend — significantly bigger than the last two Bond movies, Quantum of Solace and Casino Royale — were Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland, Austria, India, Taiwan and Mexico (though it was beaten by Disney’s animated comedy Wreck-It Ralph in Mexico).

Among the 25 foreign markets where Skyfall opened last weekend, several held on very well. In the United Kingdom, ticket sales were down only 21 per cent as the Bond film grossed $25.7 million and brought its 10-day total to $85.8 million. It also enjoyed very modest drops in Brazil, France and Sweden.

Skyfall is now certain to have more than $300 million of ticket sales under its belt before opening Friday in the US and Canada, where pre-release surveys indicate it should have a strong opening of more than $80 million.

That’s very good news for independent studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, which owns 75 per cent of the movie, Sony Pictures, which owns the other 25 per cent, and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson, who take a significant chunk of the profits.

Skyfall cost just under $200 million to make.