We all know and understand that prevention is better than cure especially when it comes to our health. It is not very pleasant to deal with cold and flu on a regular basis as it is restricting and uneasy to do things during that time. This is where keeping the immune system healthy and strong becomes important. Keeping the immune system active is a combination of eating right and doing the right exercise.
The triggers of a bad immune system are stress and fatigue and it is an established fact that yoga reduces stress, detoxifies the body and works on your endocrine system to maintain immunity. Let us learn few simple postures that help in improving and maintaining the immune system.
Note: Though these postures are easy to do and can be done by all at home, as with all exercise, it’s advisable to consult a doctor before starting them.
Kandharasana or the Shoulder pose is a pose in which part of the body weight is on the shoulders. This asana is good for thyroid and can be practiced after inverted postures.
1. Lie down on the mat with your hands by your side.
2. Bend your knees and place your feet close to your buttocks as shown.
3. Hold your ankles and slowly raise your hips off the ground till your chin touches your chest.
4. Hold the posture for 10-30 seconds.
5. Breathe normally throughout the pose.
1. During this posture there is more blood flow to the thyroid glands therefore it is good for treating the various conditions of thyroid glands.
2. The back is strengthened and this cures back pains as it helps in realigning the spinal cord.
3. This posture opens the lungs and it is good for curing respiratory problems including asthma.
4. The upper thigh and groin is stretched and toned.
Persons having neck pain or hernia should not practice this.
For more information call 800-YOGA(9642) or log on to artisticyoga.com
Follow three of Bharat Thakur’s Himalayan Challengers with Manjari Saxena on gulfnews.com (90 Days of Yoga Challenge).