Varicose veins is usually characterised by dark blue veins which can be swollen or twisted under the skin causing tiredness, aches and pains in the leg. Varicose veins are caused by weakened valves and veins in your legs. Normally, one-way valves in the veins keep blood flowing from the legs up towards the heart. When these valves do not work as they should, blood collects in the legs, and pressure builds up. The veins become weak, large, and twisted.
Due to such symptoms it becomes important for a person to keep themselves well stretched and practise postures that help in alleviating the pain by reducing the pressure in the veins and improving blood circulation.
Note: Though these postures are easy to do and can be done by all at home, as with all exercise, it’s advisable to consult a doctor before starting them.
TADASANA (mountain pose)
1. Stand with your feet shoulder distance apart, keeping your hands by your side.
2. As you inhale, raise your hands up and stretch your body upwards and get on to your toes maintaining your body balance and stretching like a mountain.
3. Hold this posture for 10-30 seconds while breathing normally.
4. Repeat this posture 3-5 times
1. Improves posture
2. Strengthens thighs, knees, and ankles
3. Alleviates pain caused due to varicose veins
4. Firms abdomen and buttocks
5. Relieves sciatica
6. Reduces flat feet
Note: beginners can do this posture with support until your sense of balance gets better.