Dubai: An Al Houthi attack on UN General Cammaert’s convoy on Thursday should be a wake up call to the international community, UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Anwar Gargash has said.

“Derailing the Sweden agreement, the Houthi militia & its Iranian backers remain the constant impediment to the peace process in Yemen,” he tweeted.

The head of a UN mission tasked with overseeing a peace deal in Yemen’s Hodeidah port city and his team are reportedly safe after an armoured car in his convoy was hit by a bullet on Thursday.

In a statement, the UN Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said that the incident happened when General Patrick Cammaert and his team were leaving a meeting with representatives of the government of Yemen.

“As they were leaving one UN marked armoured vehicle sustained one round of small arms fire. The team returned to base without further incident. We do not have information as to the source of the fire,” Dujarric told reporters in New York.

The government and Al Houthis agreed to a ceasefire last month in Yemen but the government has accused the militants of repeatedly violating the truce.