The Filipino community has shown the highest affinity for Dubai Metro, followed by Indians and Europeans, while Emirati commuters make up 12 per cent of Metro users, according to a study conducted by the RTA.

"We are thrilled about the number of passengers using Metro. There were doubts whether Metro will be conceived by residents as a mode of transport, but now those concerns have all vanished," Adnan Al Hammadi, CEO of the RTA's Rail Agency, said.

"We started off with 50,000 passengers daily, which has now crossed 320,000 — and 360,000 on weekends."

Emiratis using the Metro add up to about 12 per cent of all commuters, reflecting the demographic make-up of the city, he said.

The study found that women and children account for 27 per cent of commuters and this vindicated the decision to allot separate spaces for them, he said.

"Most commuters are aged between 19 to 40, which confirmed that youngsters view it as a modern way of travelling."

While 70 per cent of commuters earn below Dh10,000 per month, the remaining 30 per cent earn a higher income, which reiterates the Metro's position as a mode of transport that serves all sections of society, he noted.