Classifieds powered by Gulf News

Las Vegas shooting: 'No terrorism links'

FBI agent says no links found between shooter, despite claim of responsibility from Daesh

  • Stephen Paddock has been identified as the gunman by police.Image Credit: Twitter
  • A wounded person is walked in on a wheelbarrow as Las Vegas police respond during an active shooter situation Image Credit: (Chase Stevens/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP)
  • More than 100 people were injured, said Las Vegas Metro Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told a press conferenceImage Credit: Twitter
  • More than 20 people have been killed when a gunman went on a shooting spree in Las Vegas, police and US media Image Credit: Twitter
  • A police officer runs along a sidewalk near a shooting near the Mandalay Bay resort and casino on the Las VegaImage Credit: (AP Photo/John Locher)
  • People run from the New York New York during an active shooter situation on the Las Vegas Stirp in Las Vegas SImage Credit: (Chase Stevens/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP)
  • People carry a person at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard on OctoImage Credit: AFP
  • People assist a wounded woman at the Tropicana during an active shooter situation on the Las Vegas Stirp in LaImage Credit: Chase Stevens/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP

'No connection' to terrorism: FBI

Investigators have so far found "no connection" between international terrorist groups and a mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed at least 58 people and injured more than 500, an FBI special agent said Monday.

Daesh, through its propaganda arm, had earlier claimed responsibility for the attack, claiming the shooter was a recently converted "soldier". Police said the attack was carried out by Stephen Paddock, a 64-year-old retired accountant.

"As this event unfolds we have determined to this point no connection with an international terrorist group," said Aaron Rouse, the special agent in charge of the Las Vegas office of the 

Daesh claims responsibility

Daesh has claimed responsibility for a shooting that killed at least 58 people and wounded over 500 in Las Vegas early on Monday.

"The Las Vegas attack was carried out by a soldier of the Islamic State and he carried it out in response to calls to target states of the coalition," the group's news agency Amaq said in reference to the U.S.-led coalition fighting the group in the Middle East.

"The Las Vegas attacker converted to Islam a few months ago," Amaq added.

UAE condems deadly Las Vegas attack

The UAE on Monday strongly condemned the mass shooting in Las Vegas, which left at least 58 dead and over 500 people injured

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed the UAE's condemnation of the terrorist incident in a statement reaffirming the UAE's firm stand against terrorism and violence, in its various forms.

The ministry expressed its deep regret that many victims were killed as a result of this attack.

The ministry also expressed the UAE’s solidarity with the US government in the face of violence and terrorism, and called on the international community to unite and to put an end to this serious scourge that threatens world security and stability.

It offered the condolences of the UAE to the government and people of US, wishing the injured a speedy recovery.

Las Vegas shooting: death toll crosses 50

Las Vegas: A gunman on the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas Strip casino opened fire on an outdoor music festival, killing at least 58 people — including two off-duty police officers. More than 500 people were taken to hospital, officials said on Monday.

The gunman, who was a local man, was killed after police "engaged the suspect," Las Vegas Metro Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters. Police named the gunman as Stephen Paddock. Police are reportedly looking for his companion.

Officers confronted the suspect on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across the street from the concert and he was killed, Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said. Authorities did not release the suspect's name but said he is a local resident.

Watch: Witness recounts horrifying details of Las Vegas attack

Police said that the shooter was taken "down" after officers swarmed over the famous boulevard following reports of multiple shots being fired from the Mandalay Bay casino.

Country music star Jason Aldean was performing on stage when the shots began ringing out Sunday night at the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

People tend to the wounded outside the festival ground after an apparent shooting. Photo: AFP

Concert-goers reported hearing what they described as automatic gun fire during the shooting.

Pictures taken at the scene showed revelers cowering in the street or running in terror, as well what appeared to be several bodies lying prone on the ground.

 
WARNING: THIS VIDEO MAY CONTAIN SOME STRONG LANGUAGE

 

A witness told local TV news station KLAS he saw someone several stories high firing hundreds of shots into a crowd of people. Police, however, denied reports of multiple shooters.

"At this time we do not believe there are any more shooters," the department wrote on Twitter.

The two off-duty officers killed in the shooting were attending the concert, according to police. Another off-duty officer was in critical condition and another was wounded.

A crowd of people at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival after apparent gun fire was heard. Photo: AFP

Police have cordoned off Las Vegas Boulevard and parts of Interstate 15, while flights have been suspended at McCarran International Airport.

Gunfire reportedly erupted during the Route 91 Harvest concert, as country musician Jason Aldean performed at the popular casino hotel.

Hours after the shooting, Aldean posted on Instagram that he and his crew were safe and said the shooting was "beyond horrific."

Kodiak Yazzie, 36, said he and his girlfriend were watching Aldean's performance when he heard what sounded like fireworks. The music stopped temporarily and started up again before another round of pops sent the performers ducking for cover and fleeing the stage.

Thousands fled as bursts of gunfire could be heard for more than five minutes, Yazzie said.

As it happened...
 

Death toll rises

At least 58 people killed, more than 500 people injured in Las Vegas attack: Nevada police.

Daesh claims deadly Las Vegas attack

Daesh has claimed responsibility for a shooting that killed at least 50 people and wounded over 400 in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas gunman's companion no longer 'person of interest'

Police say they don't believe 62-year-old Marilou Danley was involved in the Sunday night shooting that killed at least 50 people.

400 taken to hospitals

More than 400 people taken to hospitals after Las Vegas attack; gunman had at least eight guns in hotel room: police.

Death toll rises

Death toll cross 50; police name gunman as Stephen Paddock.

Shooter identified

Las Vegas shooter was local man, companion sought: police

Death toll rises

More than 20 dead in Las Vegas shooting: police

Suspect down

Las Vegas police say one suspect is 'down' after shooting at country music festival that has left two people dead and dozens wounded.

University Medical Center spokeswoman Danita Cohen said 26 people were admitted to the hospital.

Medics treat the wounded as Las Vegas police respond during an active shooter situation on the Las Vegas Strip in Las Vegas. Photo: AP

Dozens of patrol vehicles descended on the Strip after authorities received reports of an active shooter near the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

Some officers took cover behind their vehicles while others carrying assault rifles ran into the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

Two people dead

A Las Vegas hospital says at least two people are dead and dozens wounded after a shooting late Sunday at a music festival on the Las Vegas Strip.

University Medical Center spokeswoman Danita Cohen said 26 people were admitted to the hospital. She says, of those, at least two have died, 12 are in critical condition and the rest are being evaluated.

Dozens of patrol vehicles descended on the Strip after authorities received reports of an active shooter near the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

Chaos at concert

Concert-goers reported seeing muzzle flashes from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay hotel-casino across Las Vegas Boulevard from the Route 91 Harvest country music festival and the sound of what they described as automatic gun fire.

Witnesses say they saw multiple victims Sunday night as they fled the gunfire raining down on the concert venue.

Some later huddled in the basement of the nearby Tropicana hotel-casino.

Multiple victims hospitalised

Multiple victims were being transported to hospitals after a shooting late Sunday at a music festival on the Las Vegas Strip.

Dozens of patrol vehicles descended on the Strip after authorities received reports of an active shooter near the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

Some officers took cover behind their vehicles while others carrying assault rifles ran into the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

University Medical Center spokeswoman Danita Cohen said the Las Vegas hospital is taking in "several" people with gunshot wounds. She didn't have any other immediate information.

Authorities shut down part of the Las Vegas Strip and Interstate 15.

Some flights destined for the McCarran International Airport were diverted due to incident.

Witnesses say country singer Jason Aldean was playing near the end of the concert when gunfire rang out.

No further information was immediately known.

Loading...