The UAE, represented by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), will host the 20th edition of the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference (PP-18), which will be held in Dubai, from 29 October to 16 November 2018, at the Dubai World Trade Center.
The conference importance is based on the following:
- This conference is held for the first time in the Middle-East region, particularly (Held in Marrakes 2002)
- Hosting this conference reflects the ITU leadership and Member States’ confidence in the UAE’s ability to achieve the success of this hosting, and repeating the success achieved in many important international events that have been hosted in the past years
- This hosting is a reflection of the strong relations between the UAE and the ITU
- This hosting enhances the UAE’s position on the global communications map, in line with the UAE Vision 2021
The importance of the Plenipotentiary Conference:
- Setting the general policies of the ITU
- Adopting four-year strategic and financial plans,
- Electing the organization Senior Management team represented by the Secretary-General and the Directors of the three main sectors; the standardization, radiocommunication and development.
- Electing the 48 Member States of the ITU Council, as well as the 12 members of the Radio Regulations Board (RRB), which is the highest authority within the ITU in relation to the regulation of spectrum, radiocommunication and interference.
- High-level of participation, in the presence of member states Ministers of Communication or their representatives, where many bilateral meetings concerning the reality and future of the telecom sector will be held.
- Discussions will be held at a number of committees: the Steering Committee, Credentials Committee, Budget Control Committee, Editorial Committee, Policy and Legal Matters, and the Administration and Management Committee