For the pastry
250gm flour, plus extra for working the pastry
125gm cold butter, cubed
70gm crème fraîche
For the filling
1 garlic clove, crushed
150gm goat's cheese
80gm Pecorino cheese, grated
1 tbsp freshly chopped basil
4 tbsp olive oil
400gm aubergine, cut into 1cm slices
200gm tomatoes, sliced
2 tbsp pesto
1 egg yolk
Basil, to garnish
1. To make the pastry, mix the flour with the butter, crème fraîche and a pinch of salt. Gradually add enough cold water to form a smooth dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for about 1 hour.
2. To make the filling, mix the garlic with the goat's cheese, Pecorino and basil. Season.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the aubergine slices for about 1 minute each side until golden brown. Place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
4. Add the tomatoes to the pan with the rest of the oil and fry briefly, allowing the liquid to evaporate.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Dust a baking tray with flour.
6. Roll the pastry out to a circle with a diameter of about 35cm. Lightly dust the surface with flour and spread with the cheese mixture, leaving 5cm free around the edge. Arrange the aubergine and tomato slices on top and spread thinly with pesto, then season.
7. Fold the edges of the pastry up and over the edges of the filling.
8. Mix the egg yolk with a little water and brush over the pastry. Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden. Serve garnished with basil.
Tip: You can refrigerate the dough overnight to save time, but bring it to room temperature before assembly.
Image and recipe: Stockfood/Gulf News Archives