- Interchange One gets a facelift6 minutes ago
- Half of UK manufacturers worried by China: EEF8 minutes ago
- Neymar insists he won’t be going to Man United10 minutes ago
- Hong Kong banks turn to start-ups for tech edge10 minutes ago
- Fiji PM vows to jail overseas dissidents10 minutes ago
- Nutritional awareness workshop held11 minutes ago
- Nigeria arrests Boko Haram commander13 minutes ago
- Swiss rates to stay negative for some time13 minutes ago
- Seven Omanis nabbed for stealing goats14 minutes ago
- Hong Kong growth to slow, warns Finance Chief17 minutes ago
Xbox Live launches in UAE and Saudi Arabia
- Posted by By Andy Staples, Editor – Universal Copy Desk
- Published 15:7 October 20, 2012
The long wait is over for gamers wanting to play Xbox online
Xbox Live will launch in the UAE and Saudi Arabia on Tuesday October 23.
The launch will not only allow access to downloadable content through the game store, but Microsoft says online chat and multiplayer functions will also be active from the launch.
Basic Xbox Live membership will be free and includes chat and access to Arcade and Games on Demand titles.
Gold membership will be Dh210 a year. Gold membership will be required for online multiplayer gaming, and will also allow 500Mb cloud storage for save games and simultaneous chat with up to seven people.
Regional Xbox supremo Aman Sangar said: “With the launch of Xbox LIVE in both the UAE and KSA, we’re able to offer Xbox 360 fans a premiere on-demand content offering that’s entirely new to the Middle East.
“This is only the beginning as we will continue to roll out more service. It marks another step toward our vision for LIVE – to deliver innovative entertainment experiences and exciting new ways to keep in touch with people you care about, wherever they are around the world.”
Sangar – whose official job title is Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business Category Lead for the Middle East and Africa – had told journalists to expect an announcement "soon" at last month’s Games12.
Windows 8 devices will also be able to act as a second screen for Xbox Live games.
For a limited time, Microsoft will be offering one year’s free Gold membership if you buy a Cisco EA500 wireless router (Dh899).