Resident Guide | Working Life

When you lose your passport while in the UAE

If you lose your passport, it should be immediately reported to the police to avoid any possible misuse of the travel document.

  • By Bassma Al Jandaly, Staff Reporter
  • Published: 00:05 June 23, 2009

Working life
  • Image Credit: Gulf News
  • A police report along with documents should be submitted to expat's mission.

Dubai: If you lose your passport, it should be immediately reported to the police to avoid any possible misuse of the travel document.

There is a form to be filled and documents to be submitted. After one working day, the police will issue a lost-passport report.

You should also check with the Naturalisation and Residency Department if it has received the lost passport. If not, the officials at the department will sign and stamp the police report confirming the lost passport report.

The other step to take is to go to the Public Prosecution Department and get the police report signed and stamped.

The Criminal Investigation Department should also be informed about the lost passport. Here you will need to submit the police report and the sponsor's letter, within two days of the loss. If you report it later you will have to pay a fee of Dh20 and then get a statement on the loss from the CID.

It is important that you notify the police immediately because of the details of the passport can be entered into official databases and prevent its misuse.


If you are on a company sponsorship, you should submit a letter on the loss in Arabic to the police and the naturalisation and residency department at the emirate which issued the residency visa. The letter should be typed on the sponsoring company's letterhead.

The sponsor will have to give a photocopy of the trade licence of the company, in addition to a photocopy of the establishment card, copy of the lost passport if it is available, and two recent photos of the owner of the passport.

If the person who lost the passport is on an individual's sponsorship as a parent, husband, son or daughter, then you need to submit to the Naturalisation and Residency Department and to the police a letter from the sponsor showing his or her signature. You will also need a photocopy of the sponsor's passport.

After you receive the police report and all the necessary documents you have to apply at the consulate or embassy for a replacement passport.

Quick Links

  1. Business

  2. Sport

  3. The latest Entertainment news

  4. The latest Lifestyle stories

  5. Blogs

  6. Opinion

In Guides

  1. Ask the law: Your questions, answered

  2. Restaurant Reviews

  3. Events