London: David Cameron is set to launch a new crackdown on home-grown terror — despite a blazing row between two of his most senior Cabinet Ministers over the plans.
The Prime Minister is poised to publish a wide-ranging strategy to stop British people being ‘radicalised' into becoming terrorists. Sources say the plans will signal a stark contrast with the former Labour Government by outlining tough proposals to stop extremist speakers and groups at British universities.
But the new strategy, to be finalised tomorrow, comes after stormy behind-the-scenes rows among the Cabinet.
The Mail on Sunday understands that Education Secretary Michael Gove clashed angrily with Home Secretary Theresa May.
Gove argued that the draft strategy was too weak and that she had allowed her civil servants to dictate the policy. May fiercely rejected the claims, made at a private Cabinet sub-committee meeting, sources said.
Officials denied that the timing of the anti-extremist blueprint had been held up because of the disagreements. The new anti-extremism blueprint is an update of a strategy produced by the Labour Government in 2007 after damning evidence that Islamic terrorists — including the four militants who killed 52 people in the 7/7 atrocities in London in 2005 — were radicalised in the UK.
Four months ago, in a major speech in Munich, the Prime Minister signalled an end to "passive tolerance" of extremist Islamic organisations who foster hatred against the West and radicalise young Muslims.
A source said that one of the main themes of the revised strategy was combating ‘radicalisation in universities' — the fear that extremists are brain-washing British-born Muslim students.
However, the new plans are not thought to recommend banning the hardline Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir, despite Cameron's calls in 2008 when he was Opposition Leader for it to be outlawed.