Rate this Recipe
- 450g pigeon pea lentils (tuvar dal), washed
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1l water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 green chillies
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- Fried cumin seeds, for garnish
- Mix together lentils, 1 tbsp oil, water, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are completely cooked through.
- In another pan, heat remaining oil and fry onion until golden brown. Add tomato paste and let it simmer for a minute.
- Pour this mixture over cooked lentils and let it all boil together for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with garlic and fried cumin seeds. Serve hot.