Classifieds powered by Gulf News

Changing jobs

  • Published: 09:27 October 30, 2010


I am working in an automation-based company in Dubai. I had joined on August 16, 2009 with designation of an application engineer. My visa is not an engineer visa and it is a general technician visa as my company wanted my attested degree at that time to give me an engineer visa, which I didn’t have at that time.
My question is in case I want to leave my present company and join another company, and in case my present employer denies me a no objection certificate, what options do I have?

A worker who has not completed three consecutive years with the employer may not transfer to a new employer unless he obtains the existing employer’s consent, especially if the employer is committed to give the employee his legal rights. Therefore, if the questioner failed to obtain a no objection certificate from the sponsor amicably, the Ministry of Labour, if the questioner quit work, would impose ban on the questioner regardless of his designation or degree.

Questions answered by Advocate Mohammad Ebrahim Al Shaiba of Al Bahar Advocates and Legal Consultants.