Buying a special dinner at a restaurant or a bouquet of flowers on Valentine’s Day can create a hole in the wallet. It doesn’t mean you have to abandon the idea of celebrating the most romantic day of the year. Take your pick from a list of ideas to save your bank account on Valentine’s Day.
• Stay indoors and prepare a special dinner for your loved one. Not only are restaurants an expensive option to celebrate Valentine’s, they also tend to get crowded and there’s a chance you’d get stuck in traffic along the way.
• Throw some fun and creativity in. For a more memorable evening at home, Preeti Bhambri, managing director and founder of Moneycamel.com, suggests a few ideas that don’t cost much: ”Present a single rose in style rather than a bouquet... Arrange the food with flowers and candles for a romantic dinner. Fill the room with mushy music to add a special touch. Your partner will value your genuine effort.”
• Enjoy a picnic in the park or a stroll outdoors. The weather is perfect for any outdoor activity. Take advantage of it.
• For those who prefer to surprise their special someone with jewellery, use your credit card to enjoy some discounts. “Emirates NBD credit cardholders can avail themselves of discounts on jewellery from prestigious outlets like Liali, Joy Alukkas [and] Tejori, [among others],” Bhambri says.
• But if you really have to take your loved one for a weekend getaway or a dinner outside, make use of the discounts and privileges available on credit cards to save some dirhams. Citibank credit cardholders, for example, can opt for a luxurious getaway while enjoying up to 20 per cent discounts on room rates and dining, says Bhambri. Other credit cards have similar offers for travel, entertainment and dining. For more details, visit the Money Savers section on MoneyCamel.com.